Using the TSYS Genius Handheld
Table Of Contents
Chapter 1. Accepting Credit Card Payments Using the Quick Serve Setting
1. From your Register screen, tap Checkout.
2. Tap Payment Terminal.
3. Tap Pay in Full. Do not include tip.
4. The Genius Handheld device prompts the customer to insert, swipe, or tap his or her card.
5. The customer can swipe at the top of the device or insert his/her card at the bottom of the device.
6. If you’ve set up your account to accept tips, have the customer select a tip. If you do not see this screen or want to change the suggested tip amount, please contact your TSYS representative.
7. If the customer is prompted to sign on screen, the customer should sign with the tip of his/her finger and tap Confirm.
8. The customer will be prompted to remove his/her card if the card was inserted.
9. Finally, the Genius Handheld device will indicate the payment was approved (or declined).
10. TouchBistro will print a customer and merchant copy of the credit card receipt.
Chapter 2. Accepting Credit Card Payments Using the Fine Dining Setting
1. From the Checkout screen, tap Payment Terminal.
2. Tap Pay in Full. Do not include tip.
3. If you’ve set up your account to accept tips, tap NO TIP. You will be letting the customer write in the tip on the credit card slip. If you see this screen and do not want it because you always have customers write the tip on the credit card slip, please contact your TSYS representative.
4. If prompted to sign on screen, just draw in an X and tap Confirm.
5. The customer will be prompted to remove his/her card if the card was inserted.
6. Finally, the Genius Handheld device will indicate the payment was approved (or declined).
7. TouchBistro will print a customer and merchant copy of the credit card receipt.
8. Close the table. In a sign-on-slip workflow, you typically presented the customer with the guest check already so you might close the table by tapping Close table (No Receipt).
9. TouchBistro will print your credit card receipts to the receipt printer.
10. Present the receipt to the customer for signing and inclusion of a tip.
Important: If a tip is entered on the printed receipt, TouchBistro has no way of knowing the full amount that needs to be charged to the card (bill total + tip). The server (or a manager or admin) needs to reconcile tips entered on the printed receipt with the bill total recorded as paid in TouchBistro. See Reconciling Tips Written on Receipts (Managers and Admins) for information on how to reconcile and get the full amount properly charged to the card.
Section 1. Reconciling Tips Written on Receipts
If the customer writes in a tip on the credit card receipt, the server or a user with a manager or admin passcode needs to access the closed bill and enter the tip.
1. From the floor plan layout screen, tap Orders.
2. Tap the Closed Bills tab.
3. Locate the bill with Tip Required. If you have a lot of closed bills, slide Only show if tip required to the green position to filter out bills not requiring tip reconciliation. To further aid you, the Closed Bills tab also displays the authorization details found on the credit card slip and the guest check. That is the credit card type used, the last four digits of the credit card. This information is only displayed on closed bills that need the pre-auth completed.
Additionally, you can enter the bill’s authorization number or the last four digits of the credit card number in the search field and find any bills that match the entered number pattern.
4. When you’ve located the bill, tap the bill.
5. Tap the listed payment’s cell area.
6. Enter the tip written on the receipt in the Tip field. Tap Process Card.
7. Verify you want to charge the credit card for the new amount and tap Yes.
8. You will see an approval message.
9. Repeat if the bill had multiple payments requiring the entry of tips.
10. If you tap on the bill, in the Print Preview, you will see the tip has been added to the final bill.
1) Correcting a Pre Auth Tip
If a tip written on a credit card slip was entered incorrectly, as long as the batch has not been submitted, you can correct the tip. See this guide for the steps.
Chapter 3. Credit Card Voids, Returns, or Reprints
If you need to void a credit card payment, perform a credit card return, or reprint a slip for signing, revisit the bill’s payment.
Section 1. Refund Sale
Although you’ve voided or refunded the payment, TouchBistro does not delete the actual bill. You need to balance a voided/refunded bill with a bill indicating a sale return. So tap the Information icon associated with the bill you voided/refunded and tap Refund Sale.
1. After tapping Refund Sale, TouchBistro creates the returned sale invoice under My Bar Tabs. So tap that.
2 The refund sale invoice is automatically named after the bill number of the voided or returned bill. In this example, created a Refund Sale invoice for bill 9242. To look for the tab named 9242 Refund Sale. Tap it to open it.
3. When you open the refund sale invoice, you will notice all items in the voided bill are negative quantities. If the refunded items are inventoried, TouchBistro returns the inventory count. As well TouchBistro correctly calculates the returned tax. Tap the Checkout icon to close out this return invoice.
4. Tap the Integrated Refund option.
5. Enter the Authorization code from bill you are refunding. The authorization code is printed on the credit card receipt and the guest check.
6. Close the sales refund invoice.
7. Your end of day will properly reflect the original bill and the matching refund. In the example pictured above, we’ll assume we’ve only performed a single transaction for the day. We can see our order for $39.52 matched with a $39.52 refund.
Section 2. Performing a Refund for a Bill from a Previous Day
If you need to refund a bill from a previous day, it will no longer be found under the Closed Bills tab. Use the Bill / Guest Check History option.
1. Tap Admin | Bill / Guest Check History.
2. Use the date/time wheels to set a search range based on the date/time the bill was paid. Tap Refresh.
3. Locate the bill in the search results and tap it.
4. Tap Refund Sale.
5. From your floor plan, tap Orders.
6. Tap My Bar Tabs.
7. Locate the refund sale invoice. The refund sale invoice is automatically named after the bill number of the refunded bill. Tap it to open it.
8. When you open the refund sale invoice, you will notice all items in the refunded bill are negative quantities. If the refunded items are inventoried, TouchBistro returns the inventory count. As well TouchBistro correctly calculates the refunded tax. Tap Checkout to close out this refund invoice.
9. Tap the Integrated Refund option.
10. Enter the Authorization code from the bill you are refunding. The authorization code is printed on the credit card receipt and the guest check.
11. Close the sales refund invoice.
Section 3. Processing a Void
TSYS uses a batch system. Money is not deposited into your merchant account until the batch is submitted. This has the advantage of allowing you to void transactions before they get submitted. It can be helpful if you have correct an error (for example, the customer used the wrong credit card). The advantage of using a void is no transaction is registered on the customer’s credit card report. Voids can only be performed as long as you have not submitted your batch. After a submission, you need to refund a purchase to correct any error.
In the example image above, imagine we’ve done one transaction so far for the day. If we examined our batch (Admin | Payment Gateway Options), we would see that transaction (plus any tip left) in the batch. Until you tap Batch Close, you still have the opportunity to void that transaction. To void:
1. Tap Orders.
2. Tap the Closed Bills tab, tap the closed order you wish to void, tap More, and then tap View/Edit Payments.
3. Tap the Information icon associated with the payment and then tap Void Payment.
4. You will be given a warning. After acknowledging the warning, you will see your payment is now gone. Tap Done. At this point the payment has been deleted from the batch. There is no way to get it back.
5. You are returned to the Close Bills tab. Although you voided the payment, the void does not delete the closed bill. It just removes the integrated payment. If you were to close your day at this point, you would have $90.40 in sales but no matching payment. You need to balance this voided bill with a non-integrated refund.
6. Tap the voided bill, tap More, then tap Refund Sale.
7. After tapping Refund Sale, TouchBistro creates the refund sale invoice under Bar Tabs. So tap that.
8. The refund sale invoice is automatically named after the bill number of the refunded bill. Tap it and tap Edit Order to open it (or right swipe on the order).
9. When you open the refund sale invoice, you will notice all items in the refunded bill are negative quantities. If the items have programmed mandatory modifiers, ignore the warning. If the refunded items are inventoried, TouchBistro returns the inventory count. As well TouchBistro correctly calculates the refunded tax. Tap Checkout to close out this refund invoice.
10. Do not tap Integrated Refund option at this point. Close this refund invoice using the Non-Integrated Credit Refund option.
11. Select the card type you voided. For example, if you voided a Visa transaction, tap Visa.
12. Tap Full Refund.
13. Close the sales refund invoice.
14. If you were to return to your Closed Bills tab, you’d see your original closed bill and the negative refund that balances out the void.
15. Similar to a refund, if this was the only transaction you did for the day, your sales would be properly balanced out to zero.
16. As well if you examined your batch, you would find it empty (or less the bill plus tip amount if there were additional, non-voided charges).
Section 4. Reprint a Credit Card Slip
If you need to reprint a credit card slip, see this guide for complete details.
Chapter 4. Closing Your Batch
Follow these steps to close your batch via TouchBistro:
1. Login as an Admin or Manager.
2. Tap Admin or Options (if you’re logged in as a Manager profile).
3. Tap Payment Gateway Options.
4. Tap Batch Summary.
5. Review the batch summary and tap Batch Close.
6. TouchBistro will prompt you your batch has been submitted successfully. Tap OK.