Adding a Star SP700 Using Epson Mode
Chapter 1. Before You Begin
The Star SP700 impact printer does not come with an Ethernet cable included in the box. The printer, usually used to print your kitchen orders, is typically located some distance from the AirPort router it needs to be plugged into. Neither Star nor TouchBistro can provide a cable long enough to address all possible situations. Before you begin setting up your kitchen printer, you will need to purchase an Ethernet CAT5 cable long enough to connect between your printer and your AirPort router. Typically, you’d measure along the floor from your AirPort router to the location for the kitchen printer. Then add an additional 12 feet (a bit less than 4 meters) to account for above floor mounting.
You can acquire a shorter cable for the initial setup procedure detailed here, however.
Remember, always have sufficient and proper paper supplies in stock before you open for service.
Chapter 2. Setting Up the Printer
1. Turn off the power to the printer and unplug it.
2. Flip it upside down.
3. Unscrew the panel on the bottom. (This will require a Phillips head screw driver.) The panel is typically screwed on very tightly by the factory and can take some effort to unscrew. It is very important you have the right sized screw driver to prevent damaging the screw head when applying effort.
Note: the dipswitch panel is smaller than it might appear in these photos. It’s also important to orient your printer as illustrated above (the front of the printer to your right and the rear with the power/Ethernet ports to the left).
4. Your printer dip switches will initially be set for “Star Mode” (pictured above).
5. Push Dip Switch # 4 in the opposite position in line with #2 and #8. (Note: Dip Switch # 2, # 4, and # 8 should all be in the opposite direction of the other switches.)
6. Screw the cover back on.
7. If you unplugged the printer, plug the power cables back in. Do not turn the printer on yet.
8. Connect the Ethernet cable to the back of the printer (insert it into the Ethernet port) and then plug it into one of the available Ethernet ports on your Airport Extreme. Do not plug it into the bottom WAN port.
9. Put your finger on the Feed button and click the power switch on. Do not release the Feed button until your printer starts to make some noise. Release the Feed button when your printer starts to make some noise. It prints two papers.
10. Keep the second paper with the IP address.
11. Go to the iPad.
12. Open TouchBistro.
13. Load your restaurant.
14. Log in as Admin.
15. Tap Admin | Admin Settings in the top right hand corner.
16. Tap Printers & KDS.
17. If you’re setting up this impact printer for your kitchen chit/ticket printer, tap on Kitchen.
18. In the Printer IP field, enter the IP 10.0.1.20x where x increases by one for each printer you add to TouchBistro. For example, if you’re adding a kitchen printer, you’ve probably already added your receipt printer and given it the IP 10.0.1.201. The kitchen printer is likely the second printer you’re adding to TouchBistro so give it 10.0.1.202. It’s important to never duplicate an IP used by another printer and never give it an IP where the final block is lower than 201.
19. Under Printer Model ensure Star Micronics Impact – Epson Mode is selected, that is a checkmark appears next to it.
20. Tap Program Printer.
21. In the Current IP field, enter the IP from the printer print out (for example, 10.0.1.5).
22. Leave all the other fields as defaulted.
23. Tap Begin Setup.
24. Tap Close after TouchBistro has re-programmed your router.
25. Wait until your printer’s light is green and then tap Print Test Page. Ensure a test print out comes out of the printer.
26. Tap Done.
27. The completed printer will now have the IP address next to it.
28. You can tap Restaurant to return to your floor plan.
29. As a final test, test the printer by sending an orders to that printer.
30. If you want to see how TouchBistro will use this printer, review Setting Up Menu Categories in the Menu chapter of the Administrator’s Guide. We do not advise setting up categories immediately after setting up your printer, however. Complete your hardware setup first and then work through the Admin Guide to set up your restaurant, staff, floor plan, menu, and how TouchBistro should print categories and menu items to your kitchen printer(s).
NOTE: this must be done on all Star Micronics sp700 printers.