Using Gift Cards
Table Of Contents
Chapter 1. Gift Cards
Gift cards are managed through the iWL220’s ERNEX option. See the Moneris iWL220’s guide (section 6) for more information. If you have old gift cards you used through eSelect Plus, please contact your Moneris representative and inform him/her you wish to add support for your previous gift cards.
To ensure complete and accurate accounting on TouchBistro, follow the following steps:
Section 1. Setting Up Your Menu
1. Access Menu.
2. Tap Sales Category. Create a Sales Category called Gift Cards or Merchandise (if you want to sell other non food/drink items).
3. Create a Menu Category called Gift Cards. Set the Sales Category for Gift Cards or Merchandise (depending on what you created in step 2).
4. Ensure you disable Taxation by removing the checkmark from the included tax. Tap Done
5. Tap Icon and set an appropriate icon.
6. Tap Save.
7. Access Menu Items. Tap Gift Cards.
8. Create a Gift Card Value Add menu item under the Gift Cards category.
9. Give the menu item name something like Gift Card Value Add. This will will be used when a new card is purchased and value is added to it or when an existing card is topped up.
10. Set it for an Open Price.
11. Ensure Taxes is set to No Tax.
12. Enable Is a Gift Card.
13. Return to the Menu setting screen and tap Menus.
14. Tap a menu category (for example Full Menu).
15. Tap Add Menu Category and add our Gift Cards menu category.
16. Tap Save and then add the Gift Cards menu category to additional Menus as necessary.
Section 2. Processing the Order
1. Open your cash register.
2. Tap your Gift Card menu category.
3. Tap your Gift Card Value Add menu item.
4. Enter the value you wish to add to the card and then tap Set Price.
5. Double check you set this menu item up not to charge tax. In most jurisdictions, you do not charge tax on values added to a gift card, as the tax is paid when the gift card is used to pay for a good or service. If the customer wishes to pay cash for the gift card, tap the Checkout icon and select the Cash payment option. If the customer wishes to pay with a credit card, exit to the floor plan and complete the payment using the iWL220.
If you need to load a gift card (or perform another gift card function) without accessing the register screen, access Admin | Admin Settings | Payment Gateways. Tap the Gift Cards option.
Section 3. Reporting
In the pictured example above, our End of Day report also captures the gift card menu item sale in Sales Totals. It’s important to keep gift card value associated with their own sales category to help separate out such sales and keep food/alcohol cost reports accurate.