Table Of Content
This guide covers how to update TouchBistro Standard (single iPad configuration) and TouchBistro Pro (multiple iPad/Mac server configuration). To update, you should:
1. Disable the default automatic updating setting on all your iPads.
2. Always make sure your iPad or iPads are updated to the latest iOS.
3. Always make sure your Mac computer is updated to the latest OS X version (Pro users only).
4. Update Pro Server on your Mac (Pro users only).
5. Download any available TouchBistro updates for your iPad (Standard and Pro).
Note: You should never update during service hours. Update after you’ve done your end of day or before opening your venue.
Chapter 1. Before You Begin
Although there is no danger of updating over top an existing version of TouchBistro, you should make periodic backups of your iPad to lessen the risk of data loss from the theft of your hardware or the accidental destruction of your hardware. See Backing Up TouchBistro for information on how to back up and restore your iPad.
If you’re running the multi iPad Pro version, the TouchBistro app and the Pro server need to be running the same version number.
The Pro server’s version number can be found in the app’s title bar. The TouchBistro app’s version number can be found by tapping Admin | Admin Settings | TouchBistro. It’s best practice to update your Pro server first (see Step 5 and Step 6) and then update your iPads and keep version numbers in sync.
Chapter 2. Step 1 Disable Automatic Updates
The iPad iOS defaults app updating to automatic. In general it is beneficial to allow apps to automatically update. However, automatic updates can pose certain problems when running TouchBistro. You do not want your iPad updating apps in the middle of a shift, for example.
To prevent your iPads from updating in the middle of a shift or ensuring you’re updating Pro server and your iPads at the same time, you need to turn off your iPad’s automatic app updating.
1. Tap Settings.
2. Scroll down and tap iTunes & App Store.
3. Slide Updates to the off (non-green) position.
Tap the Home button. Your restrictions will be set.
Note: Once you disable automatic updating of all your iPads, you do not have to repeat this step whenever you update.
Chapter 3. Step 2 Update your iPad(s) to the Latest iOS
Before updating TouchBistro, you should check to see if there’s an update to your iOS available. To check and update if an update is available follow these steps:
1. Make sure your iPads are either plugged into a charging source or have more than 50% battery life left.
2. Tap Settings.
3. Tap General and then Software Update.
4. Tap Install Now.
Note: You should always check if there’s an iOS update and apply the update before updating TouchBistro to the latest version.
Section 1. Opening Your Restaurant After Updating
If you are a single iPad solution, when you open your restaurant, TouchBistro will warn you your restaurant data needs to be updated. Tap Update Now.
After tapping Update Now, TouchBistro will begin the data update process. Do not turn your iPad off or attempt to close the TouchBistro app.
Finally, you will see the most resent Terms of Service. This is your end user license agreement. Note the date. This indicates if the Terms of Service have been updated. If the month is the same month as the app update, the terms have been updated since the last app update. Please review the new license agreement and then tap Accept.
The most current Terms of Service can also be viewed on the web site.
Section 2. Backup
When you update your restaurant data, TouchBistro makes a backup on your iPad. See this guide for further details and limitations.
Chapter 4. Step 3 Ensure You Have Adequate Space
The final thing to check is you have enough remaining space on your iPad to install the update. You should have 1 GB of available storage.
1. Tap Settings.
2. Tap General and then Usage.
3. Under Storage check you have at least 1 GB available. TouchBistro will not require all the 1 GB but it does require space for unpacking files, creating temporary files, and the like. You need extra room for these processes. If you try to install with less than 1 GB of storage, you may experience odd behavior.
Chapter 5. Step 4 Update your iPads
After installing any iOS update on all of your iPads, you’re now ready to update your iPad or iPads with the new version of TouchBistro.
1. Go to the App Store on all the iPads.
2. On the bottom right tap the Updates tab.
3. In the updates section you should see an option to update TouchBistro.
4. Tap Update beside where it shows the TouchBistro logo.
5. Now complete steps 1- 4 again for each individual iPad running TouchBistro.
Chapter 6. Step 5 Update Your Mac to the Latest Version of OS X
This step is only for venues using the TouchBistro Pro (configurations with 2 or more iPads). TouchBistro will, from time to time, cease supporting earlier versions of OS X. Currently TouchBistro is compatible with OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) or higher. Check your release notes if you’re required to update your Mac OS. For help on updating your Mac OS see the Apple site.
Chapter 7. Step 6 On Your Mac Running Pro Server
This step is only for venues using the TouchBistro Pro (configurations with 2 or more iPads).
1. Ensure you are connected to the Internet.
2. If Pro Server is not currently running, launch it and log in.
3. From the menu bar, click Options | Check for Updates.
4. Click Install Update.
5. The pro server will indicate it’s updating. Do not interrupt this process.
Note: Do not turn off your computer or interrupt the download/update process in any way.
Section 1. Backup
When you update your restaurant data, TouchBistro makes a backup on your Mac computer. See this guide for further details and limitations.
Chapter 8. Knowing When an Update is Available
TouchBistro sends an email announcement to your venue’s email address to let you know an update is available. If you’ve not seen one of these, check your spam folder or determine which email you used to receive your initial welcome emails from TouchBistro after purchasing TouchBistro. TouchBistro uses that email to communicate.
Chapter 9. Understanding What’s New in Updates
Every update comes with a number of new features and feature enhancements. TouchBistro prepares very detailed release notes that document changes and additions. Rarely some changes may require you to review Admin side setting and make adjustments. These will be outlined in the release notes. There are two ways to access the release notes.
First, simply visit TouchBistro’s What’s New web page and download the release notes PDF from the site or view them as HTML. Frequently release notes are accompanied by a highlight video that covers major changes.
If you’ve been a long time TouchBistro user and you’ve not been aware of these release notes, you should download release notes from past versions and review past changes.
You should also distribute these release notes to your staff and managers and have them review the release notes as updates affect all aspects of your operation.
Chapter 10. Terms of Service
The TouchBistro Terms of Service may change from time to time. You should review the most current Terms of Service available on the web site.