Setting Up your Star Micronics Thermal Lightning TSP143IIIU Receipt Printer
Table Of Contentss
Chapter 1. Limitations
This printer allows a direct connection between an iPad and the printer via a standard iPad lightning cable. If your iPad uses an iDynamo swiper, you won’t be able to use this model printer.
If you have a multi-iPad Pro system, other iPads connected to your Pro network will not be able to send print jobs to this printer.
The TSP100III Ethernet/LAN printer (TSP143L), the TSP100III Bluetooth printer (TSP143BI), and some versions of the TSP650II come with a USB port. These ports are only for supplying power to an iPad (or another USB-powered device). You cannot use the USB port on these models to create a direct connection.
TouchBistro is not compatible with the TSP113U model. Ensure you are ordering the TSP143IIIU model.
Chapter 2. Ensure Safe Printing Mode is Enabled
TouchBistro will only work with the TSP143IIIU if Safe Printing is enabled in TouchBistro. Depending on your version of TouchBistro, this may be disabled by default.
1. Tap Admin | Admin Settings on the top right.
2. Tap Advanced and ensure Enable Safe Printing is enabled.
Chapter 3. Connecting
1. Ensure your printer is turned off but it is plugged into a power socket.
2. Plug the lightning connector into your iPad and then plug the USB female connector into the leftmost USB port. This is a USB Type A port. The port to the right is a USB Type B port. It is not used by TouchBistro.
3. Turn your printer on.
4. Log into your venue as Admin.
5. Tap Admin | Admin Settings on the top right.
6. Tap Printers & KDS.
7. Tap Add Printer to add a new printer.
8. Wait a few moments for your printer (or printers) to appear in the New Printer screen. Tap your printer in the Available Printers list.
9. After selecting your printer, tap Next.
10. Tap Printer Name.
11. Either type a name for your new printer in the Name field, or make a selection from the list, for example Receipt.
12. Tap Print Test Page.
13. Tap Save.
Chapter 4. Ports
USB Type A: Plug in the female end of your lightning cable. This port also helps charge your iPad.
USB Type B Port: This is not used by TouchBistro.
RJ12 Port: The TSP143IIIU can be used to open an automatic cash drawer. Plug the RJ12 cable’s “to printer” end into this port.
Power: Connect your power cable to this port.
Chapter 5. Troubleshooting
The TSP143IIIU uses Ready and Error lights on the front of the printer to indicate various errors. This guide will provide a visual guide to diagnosing printer errors communicated via these status lights. When a printer isn’t responding, see Printer Status Messages to find out why your printer isn’t functioning properly.