Chapter 3: Setting Up Printers, the KDS, and a Customer Facing Display
Table Of Content
To set up your printers and/or your Kitchen Display System (KDS), tap Printers & KDS.
Chapter 1. Printers
TouchBistro gives you four suggested printers: Bar, Kitchen, Patio, and Receipt. Two you are most likely to be using are Receipt and Kitchen. Your receipt print would be the printer you print guest checks and receipts to. This is typically a thermal printer. The kitchen printer prints customer orders for the kitchen staff. This is typically an impact printer.
You may also have additional printers, for example a printer that prints drink orders to the bar or a printer that prints guest checks and receipts for customers seated on the patio.
Tap each printer you will be using to set up that printer.
Remember, purchase sufficient paper supplies before starting service.
Chapter 2. Configuring a Printer
1) Get the IP Address
Before setting up your printer in TouchBistro, you need to determine the IP address of the printer.
1. If your printer is on, turn it off.
2. Hold down the printer’s Feed button and turn the printer back on.
3. Wait until the printer starts to make noise and then release the feed button. The printer will print its IP address. Keep this handy.
4. Repeat this for each printer you have.
2) Setting Up the Printer IP Address in TouchBistro
1. Tap the printer name you wish to configure. For example, Receipt.
2. In the Printer IP field, enter the IP 10.0.1.20x where x increases by one for each printer you add to TouchBistro. For example, if this is the first printer you’re adding, say the receipt printer, enter 10.0.1.201. If this is the second printer you’re adding (say a printer for your kitchen), If you’re adding a third printer for your bar, enter 10.0.1.203. It’s important to never duplicate an IP used by another printer and never give it an IP where the final block is lower than 201.
3. If this is a thermal printer and you intend to use it with the Star Kitchen buzzer, enable Use Kitchen Buzzer / Ticket Alarm. Note: if you enable this and have a cash drawer plugged into your printer and also use the printer to send kitchen tickets, TouchBistro will automatically open the cash drawer when you send a ticket. Hence, ensure this is disabled if a cash drawer is or will be plugged into this printer.
4. Under Printer Model ensure your printer is selected, that is a checkmark appears next to it. The specific model number can usually be found on the bottom of the printer.
5. Tap Program Printer.
6. In the Current IP field, enter the IP from the printer print out (for example, 10.0.1.2).
7. Leave all the other fields as defaulted.
8. Tap Begin Setup.
9. Tap Close after TouchBistro has reprogrammed your router.
10. Tap Print Test Page. Ensure a test print out comes out of the printer.
11. Tap Done.
12. The completed printer will now have the IP address next to it.
You can repeat these steps for all printers you have.
Note: TouchBistro will automatically set your configured printer as your Global Receipt Printer and Global Report Printer.
Section 1. Adding Printers
If you need to add additional printers, tap the Add icon on the top right. Tap Add Printer. You can now name the printer and add the printer’s IP address.
Section 2. Temporary Kitchen Ticket Re-directs
There are times when a kitchen ticket printer is non operational. If this is the case and you have another printer you can temporarily use to print kitchen tickets, TouchBistro lets you setup a temporary redirect.
1. Tap the Information icon associated with the non-operational printer.
2. Tap Redirect All Menu Items to Printer.
3. Select the printer.
When the printer becomes operational again, tap Disable Printer Redirection.
Chapter 3. Adding the TouchBistro Kitchen Display System
For setting up and using the KDS see this separate guide:
Chapter 4. Global and Local Printers
If you have multiple printers, you can use these options to specify how TouchBistro defaults when printing receipts, reports, and bar orders.
Global Receipt Printer
Sets which printer will print receipts. If you have multiple iPads, all iPads will default to this printer.
Global Reports Printer
Reports constitute end-of-day reports, TouchBistro generated reports giving you an overview of your business operations, credit card reports, and more. If you have multiple iPads, all iPads will default to this printer.
Global Bartender Printer
If the iPad user is logged in under a bartender Staff Type (see Staff), any print jobs sent from the iPad will default to this printer. Since most bars are exposed to the dining environment, a bar printer will typically be a thermal printer for silent operation.
Local Receipt Printer
Any printer selected here will override the global receipt printer for the user of this specific iPad. You might, for example, have a patio or events room with a printer local to that room. The wait staff can be given an iPad with the local receipt printer configured to print to the local printer.
Local Drink Printer
Similar to the local receipt printer, if your patio or events room has a local bar printer, you can configure a specific iPad to print to that local printer.
Chapter 5. Configuring Your Customer Facing Display
The Customer Facing Display settings work in conjunction with the TouchBistro Customer Facing Display (CFD) app. If enabled, as you enter items into your Point of Sale/Register screen, the TouchBistro CFD app mirrors the current order and order summary portions of the register screen, offering customers details about what they are ordering and the amount owed.
Before you actually enable the Customer Facing Display, you need to reserve the IP address of this iPad (that is the iPad running the TouchBistro app you want to talk to the CFD). See the section below:
Section 1. Reserve Your TouchBistro iPad’s IP Address
The iPad with the CFD talks to the iPad with TouchBistro by addressing the TouchBistro’s iPad’s IP address. By default routers will randomly assign any available IP address to your devices and will change these IP addresses from time to time. Hence, you need to set a static, never changing IP for the iPad with TouchBistro (that is the iPad you want to send to the CFD) so the iPad with the CFD always knows which IP address to get data from. To do this you reserve an IP address on your Airport router for the iPad running the TouchBistro app you want to talk to the CFD.
1. Open Settings again on the iPad with the TouchBistro app you want to talk to the CFD. Do not perform this step on the iPad that will be running the CFD.
2. Tap General | About.
3. Write down the Wi-Fi address. This is your MAC address. It is very important to copy down the correct case (hence, write down an uppercase letter if the address letter is upper case). You will need this MAC address shortly.
4. Launch Airport Utility on your iPad with the CFD.
5. Tap Edit.
6. Tap Advanced.
7. Tap DHCP and NAT.
8. Tap Reservations.
9. Tap New Reservations.
10. In the Description field enter CFD and then enter the MAC address you copied down in the MAC Address field.
11. In the IPv4 Address field, enter an IP address where the last three numbers are greater than 110. For example, enter 10.0.1.111. If you have another TouchBistro/CFD ipad pair, increment the final three numbers by one. So a second TouchBistro/CFD should have the IP 10.1.1.112 reserved.
12. After adding the MAC address and deciding on an IP address to reserve, tap Done several times.
13. When you are prompted to update your router, tap Update.
14. It will take a few minutes for router to update. Wait until the yellow indicator under the pictured Airport changes to green.
Note: If you have a food truck configuration and you’re using the Huawei router, see this guide for differences in reserving the MAC address and IP.
Section 2. Current IP Address
On the iPad you want to talk to the CFD, tap Customer Facing Display and enable Customer Facing Display. This field reports the IP address you reserved for this iPad.
When you launch the CFD for the first time you will be prompted to enter this IP address into the CFD’s setup screen.
Section 3. Wi-Fi Network Name
Your iPad running TouchBistro must be on the same network as the CFD. You can use this field to see what network the iPad with the CFD needs to be set for.
Section 4. Connected Displays
You can have more than one iPad running the CFD. This field indicates how many CFDs are connected to this iPad.
Section 5. Displaying Your Logo
Tap Logo to add your venue’s logo. For best results, your logo should be incorporated into a banner image scaled for 500w x 65h. The CFD supports images with transparent backgrounds. Tap Back to return to the Customer Facing Display main page.
Section 6. Message of the Day
You can display a customer facing message. Tap Message of the Day. Enter your message. You can attach a 512w x 768h portrait-oriented graphic that acts as a background for your message of the day. Tap Back to return to the Customer Facing Display main page.
Section 7. Welcome Message
Tap Welcome Message and enter a welcome message for the Welcome screen. The welcome screen displays when TouchBistro is not in register/POS mode. You can also attach a 1024w x 768h horizontal image that acts as a background for the welcome screen. Tap Back to return to the Customer Facing Display main page.
Section 8. Payment Screen
Tap Payment Screen and enter message to display after processing a payment. You can also attach a 1024w x 768h horizontal image that acts as a background for the payment screen. Tap Back to return to the Customer Facing Display main page.
Section 9. Font Color
Tap the color box to select the desired color of the messages. Use the color control to manually select a color. Use the shade slider at the bottom to lighten or darken the color. You can also specify a color by inputting a hex value.
Tap Save when you’ve selected a font color.
Section 10. Font Size
Use the font size slider to increase the default font size used on your payment screen. If you are finding your menu item names are too long, you can setup TouchBistro to use a short name on the Menu Item screen. The CFD will use the short name instead.
Section 11. Brand Color
Tap the color box to select the desired color to back your message and logo. Use the controls to manually configure a color or enter the hex value. Tap Save.
Section 12. Show Takeout
By default, items check out under Orders (Takeout, Delivery, and Bar tabs) will not display on the CFD. You can enable their display with the Show Takeout option.
Section 13. Orientation
You can use the CFD in either landscape or portrait mode. However, CFD makes best of use of your attached images when your iPad is in landscape mode.
Section 14. Image Attachment Summary
Before you start setting up how your CFD appears, you should prepare the following four images:
500 x 65
A landscape banner graphic that can incorporate your logo.
Message of the Day
512 x 768
A portrait graphic that acts as a background for your message of the day. (Used in landscape only.)
1024 x 768
A landscape image that acts as a background for the welcome screen. The welcome screen displays when TouchBistro is not in register/POS mode or no items have been added to the register. (Used in landscape only.)
1024 x 768
A landscape image that acts as a background for the screen that pops up after a payment has been made. (Used in landscape only.)
Note: Put the images on the iPad with the TouchBistro app. Not the iPad loaded with the CFD.
Section 15. Where are the Images Used?
1) Welcome Screen
2) Register Screen
3) Payment Screen
4) Resetting TouchBistro CFD IP Address
Note, when you install the TouchBistro CFD, a settings option for the app is added to your iPad Settings screen (accessible when you tap the Settings icon on your iPad home screen).
Scroll down various settings options to see the TouchBistro CFD settings option.
If the IP address of your TouchBistro iPad changes, close the TouchBistro CFD. Visit the TouchBistro CFD settings item and slide Reset IP Address to the green position. Reopen the TouchBistro CFD and enter the new IP address reported in TouchBistro.
5) Preventing Customers from Exiting Out of the CFD
You can use your iPad’s Guided Access feature to lock your iPad into CFD only mode. See Prevent Users Exiting TouchBistro or TouchBistro CFD and Accessing Other Apps for step by step help.