Adjusting Staff Shifts for Time and Half
Table Of Content
Chapter 1. Introduction
TouchBistro features an Hours report that shows basic pay information.
Pay is calculated based on the hourly rate you set for the individual staff members multiplied by the hours worked according to the staff member’s clock-in/clock-out times. There’s no facility for programming the Hours report to calculate time-and-a-half or double-time pay. For users with complex wage reporting, the Hours report can be exported as a CSV and imported into your payroll system.
However, if there is a need to calculate time-and-a-half or double-time pay for a staff member’s completed shift, and you do not have a payroll system, you can edit the pay rate on the staff member’s shift details.
Chapter 2. Adjusting a Shift for Holiday Pay
Follow these steps to adjust a shift if the full shift needs to be paid out at time-and-a-half
1. After all employees have closed their shifts, tap Options | Staff List if you’re logged in as a Manager or Admin | Staff List if you’re logged in as an Admin.
2. Tap the name of a staff member. For example tap Marcio.
3. Tap the Information icon associated with the shift you need to adjust for time-and-a-half pay.
4. Tap Rate of Pay.
5. Enter the time-and-a-half rate of pay for this shift and tap Done. In the above example, the normal hourly rate of $7.75 is overridden as $11.63 (which is time-and-a-half).
6. Tap Done to save the changes.
7. Repeat for all employee shifts.
Chapter 3. Overtime Pay
The steps above are useful if the increased hourly wage is applicable for the full shift. However, some jurisdictions require a higher overtime rate for hours worked above a certain maximum. For example, time-and-a-half is required for hours worked after 8 hours of work in a single shift. Again, TouchBistro’s Hours report does not offer a way to automatically calculate overtime pay. However, you can use the shift edit feature to adjust the Rate of Pay with an average rate for the shift and get the proper wage calculation.
1. For example, imagine you’re required to pay time-and-a-half for any hour worked after 8 hours of work. Our staff member earns a base rate of $5 an hour.
2. The employee pictured above has worked 10 hours. So 2 of those hours need to be paid at the time-and-a-half rate of $7.50. The employee would earn $40 for the first 8 hours ($5 x 8). The employee would earn $15 for the remaining 2 hours ($7.50 x 2). The employee would be paid $55 for 10 hours of work. That would mean the employee averaged $5.50 an hour.
3. We could then override the $5 rate of pay and punch in $5.50 and tap Done.
4. Tap Done again to save the new rate of pay.
5. With $5.50 entered, we can see the Hours report correctly calculates the $55 that needs to be paid to this employee for the shift with two hours of overtime pay.
Chapter 4. Excel Spreadsheet
To help calculating the average hourly rate, you can download this Excel spread sheet from TouchBistro (see note below). Enter the base rate in the Hourly Wage field. Enter 1.5 for time-and-a-half or 2 for double time in the Time Adjust Factor field. Enter the hours worked covered by the base wage in the Hours Work @ Regular Wage field. Finally enter the hours worked that need to be paid the overtime rate. Enter minutes above an hour as a decimal. For example two and half hours would be entered as 2.5. Two hours and forty five minutes would be 2.75.
The Average Hourly Wage field calculates the Rate of Pay you need to put into TouchBistro.
Note: The linked spreadsheet is provided as a convenience for our TouchBistro customers. The use and modification of this spreadsheet is not supported in anyway by TouchBistro support.