Never Update During Service Hours
You should avoid updating TouchBistro during service hours. Update after you’ve done your end of day or before opening your venue.
Updating during service hours can cause an interruption during service.
Software updates must be downloaded from the internet, and are therefore dependant on the speed and reliability of your internet connection. Interruptions to the update process can lead to problematic situations wherein only some iPads are updated. When this happens, some iPads may be usable with TouchBistro, and others may not be usable until they are updated. iPads that are not updated will not be able to connect to the updated version of TouchBistro Pro Server.
Update your iPad(s) to the Latest Version of iOS
Before updating TouchBistro, you should check to see if there’s an update to your iOS available. To check and update if an update is available follow these steps:
1. Make sure your iPads are either plugged into a charging source or have more than 50% battery life left.
2. Tap Settings.
3. Tap General and then Software Update.
4. Tap Download and Install.
Note: You should always check if there’s an iOS update and apply the update before updating TouchBistro to the latest version.
Ensure You Have Adequate Space
The final thing to check is if you have enough remaining space on your iPad to install the update. You should have 1 GB of available storage.
1. Tap Settings.
2. Tap General and then Usage.
3. Under Storage check you have at least 1 GB available. TouchBistro will not require the entire 1 GB but it does require space for unpacking files, creating temporary files, and the like. You need extra room for these processes. If you try to install with less than 1 GB of storage, you may experience odd behavior.
Updating Your iPads
1. When app updates are available, the App Store icon will appear with a red badge in the top right-hand corner of the icon. Tap the icon to open the App Store.
2. Tap on your Apple ID avatar in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
3. Tap Update to the right of TouchBistro Point Of Sale. Conversely, you may tap Update All if you are sure you wish to update all available apps on your iPad.
4. Wait as your app (or apps) update. The circular button shows the progress of your download as you wait. Tapping the circular button pauses the download, should you wish to interrupt the process.
5. When your update is complete, the circular progress button transforms into an Open button. Tapping on this button opens the application directly.
iPadOS Dark Mode
iPadOS 13 and later include a system-wide dark mode feature that works automatically with websites and supported apps. However, this feature does not function with TouchBistro, because TouchBistro already has it’s own Dark Mode feature.
Dark Mode in TouchBistro POS can be turned on or off for each Staff Member individually, as per their personal preference. Please see Adding A Staff Member for more details.
Knowing When an Update is Available
TouchBistro sends an email announcement to your venue’s email address to let you know an update is available. If you’ve not seen one of these, check your spam folder or determine which email you used to receive your initial welcome emails from TouchBistro after purchasing TouchBistro. TouchBistro uses that email to communicate.
Understanding What’s New in Updates
Every update comes with a number of new features and feature enhancements. TouchBistro prepares very detailed release notes that document changes and additions. Rarely some changes may require you to review Admin side setting and make adjustments. These will be outlined in the release notes. There are two ways to access the release notes.
First, simply visit TouchBistro’s What’s New web page and download the release notes PDF from the site or view them as HTML. Frequently release notes are accompanied by a highlight video that covers major changes.
If you’ve been a long time TouchBistro user and you’ve not been aware of these release notes, you should download release notes from past versions and review past changes.
You should also distribute these release notes to your staff and managers and have them review the release notes as updates affect all aspects of your operation.
Opening Your Restaurant After Updating
If you are a single iPad solution, when you open your restaurant, TouchBistro will warn you your restaurant data needs to be updated. Tap Update Now.
After tapping Update Now, TouchBistro will begin the data update process. Do not turn your iPad off or attempt to close the TouchBistro app.
Terms and Conditions
Our Terms and Conditions screen is in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
To begin the affirmation process, open Terms of Service. Scroll to the bottom. After a brief pause, the Accept button will undim. Tap Accept. (The terms of service depicted in these release notes are for illustrative purposes only. See the TouchBistro app’s Terms of Service screen for complete and up-to-date terms.)
Both will now be checked and you can tap Done.
When you update your restaurant data, TouchBistro makes a backup on your iPad. See this guide for further details and limitations.
Update Your Pro Server When You Update Your iPads
Please see Updating TouchBistro Pro Server for the complete instructions.
If you use more than one iPad in your venue, then your iPads must synchronize through an Apple Macintosh computer, called the Pro Server. It is imperative that if your iPads have been updated to a newer version of TouchBistro, then your Pro Server is updated as well, in order to connect and synchronize.
Many venues operate their Pro Server without a mouse, monitor or keyboard connected. In the interests of saving space in the restaurant, we do not require that such peripherals be connected to the Pro Server on a day-to-day basis.
However, you must ensure that you have a mouse, monitor, and keyboard available when updating.
Also, once your venue’s iPads have been updated, your venue’s Pro Server will require the update in order to synchronize them. All devices must be updated together in order to synchronize.